Tuesday, May 15, 2012

A Visit to an Orphanage



I met with another organization that works with street kids today.  I was shocked to be walking into an orphanage; I wasn't under the impression that it was an orphanage.  We have been told that orphanages are closing here as the government is trying transition to a foster care type system; however, my contacts here do not think that this will work with the culture of the people. 

David, my friend and personal guide through Impact Rwanda, told me that even from a Rwandan perspective that the conditions were not good, but they were better than the street.  For me, that was hard to imagine.  94 kids lived there, and they said that it had a capacity for 105.  I later spoke with Serge, the leader of Imact Rwanda, and he told me that many people profit in these situations while the children suffer.  It sickened me me.  I have seen children's homes that are not only self-sustaining but able to expand and grow.  The lack of fruit here was disheartening.  There has to be a better alternative.  Perhaps, a home/village for orphans is in my future.....

No comments:

Post a Comment