“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.” John 3:16&17

Standing in my kitchen yesterday, God began to reveal to me how deep his love is for mankind. I think that sometimes the depth and complexity of God can only be revealed through deep pain. My husband has been under severe attack this week. He was terminated at work under false and outlandish accusations. A former employee told him this week that based off of his observations this week that it looks like my husband was set up. As I was dealing with the raw emotion of rage that my husband was plotted against, unjustly accused, and had no chance to defend himself, God reminded me of Christ and that he too was plotted against, falsely accused, beaten, and killed. For our sake, he did not defend himself but instead became a sacrifice for us so that we could once again be reconciled to God. That is love!


As the anger welled up inside of me while standing in my kitchen, words raced through my mind in an effort to honor and defend my husband, and a sense of helplessness washed over me as I realized that ultimately there was not much that I could do, God paralled my feelings to His feelings in regards to Christ on the cross. Could God have saved Christ? Absolutely! However, mankind would have been lost. God loves us so much that He allowed his son to unjustly be tried and killed in order to reconcile mankind to Himself. Wow! This is all something that I knew but to be able to associate this with my feelings towards my husband’s situation caused me to weep at God’s incredible mercy towards us. What God experienced as He watched Jesus was much more severe than what I am experiencing with my husband yet He chose love instead of anger and revenge.

I think what breaks my heart the most was that my husband told me after a conversation with our neighbor that our neighbor, who works for this company, had said, “Wow! You and your wife must have a really good relationship. My wife would have left me over this.” This statement is gut wrenching. I have seen the immense pain that my husband has gone through and the humiliation in his eyes when he came home from work early on Monday. I cannot even imagine the feelings of hopelessness, devastation, and despair that would have overtaken him if he did not have a wife that understood and loved him so deeply.

Wives, encourage your husbands. Know your husbands. Commit to your husbands no matter what happens or what storms may come. Don’t make your marriage or love conditional on good behavior. Extend the same unconditional love and grace to your husband that God extends to you. Be a mirror of Christ to your husband despite anything that may or may not be going on and watch your husband transform, rise up, and be empowered right before your eyes at the freedom of knowing that he is loved unconditionally. Because of this dynamic in our relationship, Sean felt initial betrayal and humiliation but the healing love of a committed wife and family and the unyielding love, protection, and faithfulness of our Almighty God is quickly healing his wounds.