Before I begin, I want to share a post that I started on February 18, 2012. I stopped writing it for several reasons, but mostly because I was trying not to focus on the stirrings of the post but on our then current life:

“I am sitting here in front of this keyboard with many answered prayers yet my heart is not at rest. During a time of no job and not much stability, we prayed for exactly that….a job and stability. I sit here fully blessed in a beautiful home, bills paid early, pantry full of food, a stockpile of extra food in the basement, health insurance, and a nice size paycheck from my husband’s new company. What do I really long for? The life of constantly clinging to Him for every need; knowing that his answer is just around the corner.



I suppose now I am in a similar situation except that my prayers are not nearly as raw and desperate as I sit comfortably provided for… How can we so easily drift back into a life of complacency…again settling for things that we don’t really want? I think our answered prayers were to reveal our true desires…a life that abandons the culturally acceptable. The normal life, I have decided, is not for our family. The normal life with the 8 – 5 job, and the same thing going on day in and day out. Again, I want to let go of the wheel and ride the crazy, exhilarating ride that happens only when God is in complete control. The freedom that comes when husband and wife are on the same page….out of control but together…intentionally diving into the wonderfully unknown of God. When you cannot see where your foot will rest, but soon you find that it is firmly planted in just the right place.”

Sixteen days later, my husband was fired from his job. My reaction: I was elated. I instantly knew that our life was shifting again. The mundane was gone, and we were on God’s adventure again. I feel alive again at the very real presence of God that is overtaking our lives. We do not know our next step…but God does. We do not know where our source of income will come from…but God does.

My heart has hurt for my husband because the process of being fired especially the way that he was fired is hard. Basically, he was fired for doing his job and being himself. I know that this does not make sense, but in the world of corporate politics, it makes a lot of sense. He was employed for 7 months, and from the beginning, we saw much corporate dysfunction and mistreatment of employees (I will leave it at that as the details are very complicated). From the first few weeks, I told Sean to never compromise his character and to love and protect that ones that God entrusted to him. He prayed daily for the ones who were against him, and worked hard to build teamwork and camaraderie in a fractured and unhealthy work environment.

In the end, I have never been more proud of my husband. I have seen uncompromising and unwaivering character. He has been a protector of the weak and an encourager to the “beat down.” He has had now former employees tell him that they are so sorry to see him go and that he was the best boss that they had ever had. For this, I am proud of him. He made a difference in the lives that were entrusted to him during his short time.

I don’t know what the future holds for us yet again. We have a promise that God has given us and know that we will see the fulfillment of it. God’s Word never fails. I feel his presence so thickly again, and I will happily soak in it as long as I can.